11 Career Tips for Successful CEOs
Having worked with hundreds of CEOs in my 29-year career as a recruiter for private equity firms, Iâ€™ve seen patterns of what investors look for in successful CEO hires. Here are 11 tips for success as a CEO.
- Maintain your collegiate achievements, military honors and industry awards together with any C-Level accomplishment files & performance rewards.
- Read How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie as early in life as you can.
- Try to earn an MBA in your chosen field, e.g. Management, Marketing, HR, Finance or IT. Currently, there are online MBA Degrees and one year MBA Degrees available.
- Learn to understand a companyâ€™s financial statements regardless of your C-Level job.
- Cultivate solid relationships with other C-Level functions in your company. Learn to be a good listener.
- Develop good working relationships with your key current & future references, e.g. your boss(es), peers and subordinates. Never gossip and avoid company politics.
- Maintain a professional relationship with your subordinates. Need a friend? Buy a dog. Familiarity breeds contempt.
- Manage by setting mutual goals and objectives and regularly measuring performance.
- Learn what steps to take to terminate a chronic non-performer the right way without being sued.
- Keep taking any worthwhile training, course, seminar or workshop to be current in your competencies.
- Remain in touch with your key references after job changes. Get mutual updates. Ideally, send each your latest resume and ask them for a two paragraph written reference verifying your employment time together. Securing solid key references in writing is the most important step a job hunter can take in advancing their career.